Saturday, October 6, 2012

Home Sweet Almería

I have been living in my new place for a week and a half now and I realized that I still have not posted any photos!  Have no fear, now you will all finally see were I am living!

Apartment hunting was a little more difficult and more discouraging this time around.  Last year we had it really easy by getting a call from a real estate agent and having him show us a couple of places, the second of which we fell in love with instantly.  This time around I was searching alone and had no idea what it was that I wanted.  I spent my first full day in Almería in my hotel room calling as many people as I could to schedule apartment viewings.  It turns out that most of the people I called had already rented out the apartments or ended up not calling me back.  Finally, after about 30 phone calls, a ton of rejections and a bunch of calls that never went through, I went to see three apartments the next day.

I have to be honest and say that each apartment had a lot of positives.  The first place I saw was right next to the beach and with a girl who was studying at the university.  It was an okay place and the girl was really sweet, but in the end it was my second choice.  The second place was with a Spanish person who is a bit older and was renting out a room in her place.  I really, really loved her style.  When I walked in, I felt like I had picked out everything myself!  Everything is very colorful, calming and super cute and organized.  My only hesitation was that I would be renting a room in HER apartment, and not sharing a place with other people renting.  The third place was really nice and I would have been sharing with a different girl who was studying at the university, and it was right next to the beach, but it was REALLY far out of the city center and the neighborhood didn't give me a good feeling.

In the end, I went with apartment number two and I am really, really happy with my decision!  It doesn't have a view of the beach like the others, but I make up for it by living right in the city center.  I have a 15-20 minute walk to the beach.  There are lots of supermarkets to choose from.  My apartment has one of the first dryers I've ever seen in Spain.  It's really comfortable and I feel like it really fits me.

My bedroom



The living room


2 comments:

  1. I just read all of your blogs for this year. I am glad you have settled in. I decided to leave a comment on this one, cause it gave me flashback of our house hunt last year! Your piso looks great, and your bracero loooks a lot like the one we shared. I hope things continue to go well for you! ..and good job with your blogs, you've posted a lot already! Lol I remember those days you spend all day last year posting like 5 cause you were behind...:)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment :) I know, the piso hunt was a bit more difficult all by my lonesome this year, but I think I managed to do okay! It's a little weird to have so little space compared to last year, but on the other hand it's pretty nice. I'm glad to have a different kind of experience this year.

      And YESS I would spend so much time catching up on my blogs last year!! I am trying to hard to keep up and do a good job. Thanks for reading!! Un besito!

      Delete