For example, I have three roommates here in Spain. Two are from Chicago and the other is from Lyon, France. I find it funny that I have become totally accustomed to hearing French spoken around me, even if I don't understand what she is saying. It's been really fun and interesting talking with her and comparing our cultures in the US to Spanish to French cultures. Often I am very jealous of her because she already lives in the EU and therefore never has to pay an exchange rate for money, already measures in Celsius, meters & kilos and she is already familiar with other European things that are different and/or difficult for us Americans.
![]() |
The first friends that we made in Baza happened to be from Morocco. When we are hanging out with them, we hear a lot of Arabic and learn a lot about Moroccan culture. They really like to talk about Moroccan customs and history. Sometime soon, they are planning on preparing some Moroccan food to share with us. I am really looking forward to that!
There are two English auxiliaries in our city that are not from the US. One is from England and the other is from Australia. It has been fun talking with them and comparing word, phrase and grammar differences between the three different countries. Like I said in my last blog, I am learning a lot more English here than I expected to!
Then of course, I have spent lots of time with Spaniards. I really enjoy learning more and more about Spanish life and culture, and now that I am speaking in Spanish everyday, I am learning a lot more. I believe that it is so much easier to get to know another culture by learning their language and especially their idioms, because it explains a lot about why they may do the things they do.
| Rome 2010 |
Now that I have finally started to receive paychecks here, I am hoping to take a few trips outside of the country to experience some different cultures first hand. Unfortunately I will not be able to understand the languages of these places, but I will be able to get a feel for how they live by being directly immersed in their big cities.

No comments:
Post a Comment