Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Lady of Baza

Tourists  (PC Emilie)

Last week seemed to be the best time to do a little tourism in Baza because Abby was staying here.  I actually saw some new things in the city like the archaeological museum and the tourism office.  We went into the tourism office and the lady was very helpful.  She laughed at Emilie and I when we said we had lived in the city for six months already and had never been in.  She showed us all of the pamphlets, booklets and other info that was available to us for free.  Now I have a book about Baza and the area around it.  I plan to sit down and read it this week to see what I have been missing out on for the past few months.


Us with "our Lady" 

It turns out that this area actually has a lot of historical significance.  The Roman name for Baza was Basti, this is why people from Baza are still called "Bastetanos" to this day.  We explored the archaeological museum and saw parts from the wall surrounding the Roman Basti, old artifacts from the area and saw detailed photos of the burial site of the "Dama de Baza," or, "The Lady of Baza."  The Lady of Baza was dug up just outside of the city and now she resides in the archaeological museum in Madrid, so they only have a replica here.  *Fun fact- There is also a replica of the Lady of Baza in the entrance of the Granada airport.

Lots of interesting stuff!
I was actually pleasantly surprised by how updated and modern the museum is.  It looks like it was newly renovated and it had a lot of interactive touch screens with photos, videos, sound effects and other useful information.


No comments:

Post a Comment